Getting StartedThis application is for NJ FamilyCare programs (including Medicaid) for which eligibility is primarily based on income. There are other NJ FamilyCare (Medicaid) programs for which eligibility is determined primarily based on disability or age (65 or over). So before you apply, we have a few questions which may help you apply for the programs that are right for you.
If Yes, continue to the next question. If No, Click here to continue to HealthCare.gov for more information.
If No, continue to the next question. If Yes, Click here to apply for the appropriate NJ Medicaid program.
If No, continue below. If Yes, in addition to continuing with this application, you can also Click here to apply for other NJ FamilyCare (Medicaid) programs based on your disability.
New Jersey has a new application that includes food stamps and cash assistance in addition to NJ FamilyCare. If you also wish to apply for these programs, Click here. All others, continue below.
Note: If you are interested in other medical assistance programs such as Aged, Blind and Disabled or Long Term Care Click here. All others, continue below.
NJ FamilyCare is publicly funded free or low-cost health insurance for NJ residents. To learn more, click on "What is it?" on the menu bar of the NJ FamilyCare website. To self-screen for income eligibility, click on "Income Eligibility and Cost".
To be eligible for NJ FamilyCare:
- Qualified NJ residents of any age
- Applicants must live in New Jersey
- Applicants age 18 and under and pregnant women must be a US citizen or qualified immigrant whose documents allow them to remain here permanently, regardless of date of entry.
- Parent/caretaker relative and Adult without dependent child applicants must be a US citizen or qualified immigrant including those with legal permanent resident status for at least 5 years.
- All applicants must meet the rules of the program.
It’s easy to apply!
- Filling out this online application will take about 10 minutes. Answer all questions. Fields with an asterisk (
- When you are done, click 'Submit' on the last page.
What you will need:
- To fill out this application, you will need the following information about your family before you begin. (Family includes adoptive or natural parents and their spouses, or caretaker relatives if there are no parents, and children under 21, and all claimed tax dependents.):
- Names and birthdates
- Social Security numbers for those applying for coverage
- Information about other health insurance
- Information about income, both work income and any other income
- To be eligible, immigrants must have documents that allow them to reside in the U.S. permanently.
- Applying for NJ FamilyCare will not hurt your chances of getting a green card or becoming a citizen.
- Information provided to NJ FamilyCare is not shared with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- A parent's immigration status does not need to be provided if the parent is not requesting health coverage for him or her self.
- A parent's status has no effect on the eligibility of a child.
How to make sure your family gets the health coverage they need and deserve:
- You may be asked to provide certain documents that verify what you have said on the application regarding income, citizenship or immigration status, and other health insurance if applicable. If these documents are not provided, enrollment of your family members cannot take place. This will be explained more fully when you have completed the online application.
Please do not apply again if you have submitted an application and have not received a reply.
It can take up to 45 days to hear from us. If you have any changes, or wish to inquire about the status of your application, you can call the agency to which your online application was sent.
Warning! This system contains U.S. Government information. By using this information system, you are consenting to system monitoring for law enforcement and other purposes. Unauthorized or improper use of, or access to, this computer system may subject you to state and federal criminal prosecution and penalties as well as civil penalties. At any time, the government may intercept, search, and seize any communication or data transiting or stored on this information system.